Monday, January 11, 2010

Almost Got a Dog Last Week


After staying with Tiffany and her three terriers, and then driving to Denver and staying with Katie and her cute daschund, we soon discovered that Owen's fear of dogs had quickly dissolved into a now very prominent fettish. All of his anxiety melted away within minutes of playing with them. As proof, we even took some photos of him holding the dogs with his big cheesey smile.

After we got home, I sent a text to Katie thanking her for letting us stay and telling her that Owen missed her dog, Zoe. She quickly sent a text back asking, "Do you want her?" Whoa! I wasn't expecting that reply! I have had a life-long adoration for daschunds and this might be my chance to own one! I could hardly believe it!

We all got stars in our eyes imaginging a life with a dog again - one that was completely potty-trained, one that was small and puppy-like, one that was good with kids, one that was social and friendly, one that could fit in our kitchen sink for baths, one that didn't kill chickens, one that didn't eat its own poop, one that couldn't run very fast and we could catch if it ran away, one that wouldn't eat sandwiches off our kitchen counter, one that didn't come with a socio-path breeder, and especially one that made itsy-bitsy poops! That was almost too good to be true (especially after the dogs we used to have as some of you may remember....ahhhhhh! What a nightmare!)

So we made lots of phone calls back and forth and hoped for the best, but sadly Katie wasn't quite ready to say goodbye. She decided to keep Zoe for the time being and see if her feelings changed. I could completely understand that. Zoe is a little gem.

Well as excited as I was, I was actually a little relieved. I was hoping to have a little more time to prepare for a dog again. AS much as I wanted one again, I knew what would come with it. I really wanted Owen to be potty-trained first. I wanted warmer weather. We even thought we'd have another baby before getting really serious about it. So, maybe we will see down the road. Nevertheless, I told Katie Zoe has a home with us if she ever changes her mind again.

No comments: