Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Potty-Training, Take Two

We tried potty-training Owen last summer when he was almost two and a half. It backfired miserably. The pee went well, but the other one never did. You know the one I mean. Anyway, some friends gave us the good advice to take a break and wait a few months to try again. Well, we took a six month vacation from the toilet and its woes, and tried again, only this time with success!

We spent an entire day watching this dvd (shown above) and letting Owen run around naked. I know, gross, but it worked for us. Owen is now potty-trained! Each time he "goes" he gets a Toy Story fruit snack. Which is WAY cheaper than chocolate, toy cars, trains, and all the other crazy things I tried the first time around trying to find my "in" with him. Fruit sancks cost me just $1.28 a box at my local Winco store. Best $1.28 I've ever spent.

I LOVE not having two kids in diapers! Woo-hoo!! Mommy is so happy!

4 comments:

Jeana Bird said...

That is awesome! We did pretty much the same thing with Brooke for a couple of days...panties and a movie with the potty really close. Glad you are changing less diapers!

Richardson said...

We started potty training James about a week and a half ago. It's been going great too! I bought him the "Elmo's potty time" video and had him watch it while sitting on the potty. That's how we got him to learn how it feels to go pee in the potty in the first place. # 2 was a little harder. We basically had to catch him in the act and then race him to the bathroom. But now he goes on his own. Anyway, I tried doing it a few months ago as well and it was a disaster! He pretty much hated the potty by the end of the day and he really didn't care that much about the treats. I'm super stoked to not have to do double diaper duty anymore :)

Julie said...

Yea! We just potty trained Kate a few weeks back and did similar to you guys. We even have that same book, but the girl version. We just had her go naked and it was done quick. I have to say, it really does seem easier to do when they are a little older huh!

Brooke said...

I love how the potty keeps us all connected! Everybody can relate! Thanks for the support! It's such a necessary evil, but we all survived!